Back in March I suggested you ‘Spring-Clean Your Routine’. It all sounded great in theory right? But perhaps it was too vague for people to really get their teeth into. I know I struggled to keep focused. I wanted to start the following:
My ideal morning routine
- 6:30 am – get up – do 20 minutes of yoga
- 7:00am – write 750 Words
- 7:30am – breakfast, shower
- 8:30am leave for work
I completely failed to achieve this.
I did realise that although I thought my behaviour was fairly haphazard, I was actually following a routine of sorts, which is really a series of long established bad habits:
My real morning routine
- 6:30 – hit snooze. repeat until 7:30am
- 7:30am turn on iPhone. Read email, Twitter, Facebook, RSS feed. Wait until girlfriend leaves flat (flat is very small so we always get in each other’s way if we’re both trying to get up at the same time)
- 8:30 get up, put on music loud (Kanye West or Britney Spears), sing along whilst getting ready/showered
- 9:00 breakfast. Read more blogs. Iron shirt.
- 9:30/10am Leave for work (I’m on flexi so can usually get away with arriving late)
Of course, to have a successful morning routine, one also needs to have a successful evening routine.
My ideal evening routine
- 8-9pm prepare for next day (iron shirt, plan to-do list etc)
- 9-10pm read
- 10pm go to sleep
But what can I say?
The reality: No routine whatsoever
Several times I went out and got drunk instead, or stayed up too late watching TV. Ensuring that the morning routine was NEVER going to happen.
So now I’m aware of the problem. I need to change my bad habits. But I also want some kind of social life.. hmmm a tricky dilemma..
What about you? Do you have a morning/evening routine? Are there any habits you want to change? What do you recommend to help me improve my self-discipline?
Let me know in the comments!
PLEASE NOTE: Next week I’m attending a local music festival,the weekend after I get married, and after that I’ll be on honeymoon in New York. So posting on this blog will continue to be irregular during May – I’ll try and post once a week but it may be less frequent up until the beginning of June.